Wednesday, December 12, 2012

hanging high...

I have been doing a lot of writing lately which I haven't done for a while. I personally find it quite difficult to deal with rejection from publishers so I needed to take a bit of a break. I'm not sure why I don't self publish. I have a horrible, self destructive need for external positive affirmation of the quality of my work. It is a huge character flaw and is something I have been trying to work on. I need to remind myself to put my small wins and losses into perspective. After all, Yann Martel's 'Life of Pi' was rejected from five UK publishing houses. JK Rowling's 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' was rejected from twelve publishing houses. Margaret Mitchell’s 'Gone With the Wind' was rejected by twenty-five publishers.

I think one of my favourite rejection letters refers to the manuscript for 'The Diary of Anne Frank' which received the editorial comment, “This girl doesn’t, it seems to me, have a special perception or feeling which would lift that book above the curiosity level.” Or perhaps as one publisher commented to Joseph Heller, author of the classic 'Catch-22', “I haven’t the foggiest idea about what the man is trying to say. Apparently the author intends it to be funny – possibly even satire – but it is really not funny on any intellectual level.” Self publishing is beginning to look more sensible by the minute.

Shoot the Messenger

I am clearly no match
For your obvious
Quasi intellectualism
Coffee shop posturing
The self high-fiving
The nothing you offer
But snobbery
A mind in a box
Sitting silver
Anonymous
Elitist
You wasp!
I slap at you
Black and white
Email
Black hate prancing
Eyeballs racing
Quality
I know it
No substance?
Lacking!
Lies.
Lifeless?
I am life
I breathe it
Live it, love it
Suffer through it
Surrender to it
Your flighty caresses
Irrelevant
You are no one
I am the rain from clouds
The puddles you step in
I stretch and bend
Rip, rip, rip
Delete.

© Juliette Gillies

[Words by me. Image- Edgar Allan Poe- Tumblr]

No comments:

Post a Comment